Bardwell-Ferrant House, 2500 Portland Avenue South
These photos were taken for the Model City survey in the 1970s. Originally constructed at 1800 Park Avenue for Charles Bardwell, the house had a Queen Anne style. In 1890 architect Charles Struck remodeled the house for Emil Ferrant into its current Moorish style, onion domes and all. it was moved to 2500 Portland in 1898 to accomodate an apartment building being built at 1800 Park.
In the 1880s and 1890s, Park Avenue was the Summit Avenue of Minneapolis, it was the first street paved with asphalt (1889), thanks to the Park Avenue Improvement Association. The part of Park Avenue between 18th Street and 28th street was known as the “Golden Mile.” As development moved southward, Park become less prestigous and by 1910, half of the mansions had been converted into apartments.